Letters of Recommendation/ Brag Sheet
Letters of Recommendations and Brag Sheets
Letters of Recommendations are often required by certain colleges (mostly private colleges and universities), college programs like EOP or scholarships as part of the application process. These recommendations usually come from teachers and/or counselors. Club Advisors, coaches, employers, church and community leaders can also write a letter of recommendation for a student.
Follow these steps to request a letter of recommendation:
- Complete a brag sheet (available below). When completing your brag sheet you will need to be as thorough as possible. The more information you provide, the better!
- Ask your teachers/ counselor at least 2 weeks in advance of when you will need the letter.
- Give them a copy of your brag sheet; this will help them write your letter of recommendation and make it more personal.
- For the Common Application and CSU EOP Application - Make sure to get your recommender's (i.e., teacher/ counselor) first and last name, email address, and phone number.
- Don't forget to show your appreciation with a simple thank you email.
Need a Brag Sheet?
Below are three different formats to download the Narbonne Brag Sheet.
Google Doc Brag Sheet - Click on the link below to open a Google Doc version of the Narbonne Brag Sheet.
- Once the page opens, click on "Make a copy". The copy of the Brag Sheet will automatically be saved in your Google Drive.
- In the top left corner of the Google Doc Brag Sheet erase "Copy [First & Last Name]" and type your first and last name.
- After you complete the Brag Sheet you can share it with the person who will be writing you the letter of recommendation (i.e., teacher or counselor) by click on the "Share" button on the top right corner In the "Add people and groups box type your teachers or counselor email.
Word Document - Download the word version below and type directly into the space under each question.
- Rename the Word document as "[First and Last Name]". For example, "Jane Doe_Brag Sheet"
- After you have filled out the brag sheet save the Word file on your desktop or on a USB drive for easy access.
- Email the Word document of your brag sheet as an attachment to your recommender.
PDF Document - Download the word version below and type directly into the space under each question.
- Rename the PDF document as "[First and Last Name]". For example, "Jane Doe_Brag Sheet"
- After you have filled out the brag sheet save the PDF file on your desktop or on a USB drive for easy access.
- Email the PDF document of your brag sheet as an attachment to your recommender.